Monday, November 9, 2009

Buñuelos de Espinaca!


Spinach Buñuelos or Fritters. These were something that my grandmother used to make for us when we were growing up.  Unfortunately I never learned how to make them from her before she passed away.  Recently I was able to find a recipe for them on the internet that I figured I should try and see if perhaps, they would turn out like hers.  Well, they didn't quite turn out the way she would have made them but it was worth trying none the less.  I am sure there are several different ways of making these.  If you have a good one, don't forget to forward it along!

Buñuelos can generally be made with just about any type of filling, from spinach to fruit, to figs or marmalade.  The possibilities are endless really.  But for now, lets get to the recipe for these!

Ingredients:

2 bunches of fresh spinach (you can use frozen as well)
1/2 cup of flour
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons shredded cheese of your choice
salt
pepper
milk
oil for frying

Method:

If you are using fresh spinach, make sure to wash it thoroughly before using it.  Now you can put it into a medium sized pot filled with enough water to almost cover the spinach.  Set the water to boil.  Once the spinach is cooked remove it from the water to strain.  Cut it into small pieces as much as you can (it will be somewhat mushy so do what you can).  Set aside.




In a small bowl, add the flour, egg yolks and enough milk to make a paste.  Next add your shredded cheese, salt and pepper to taste.  In another small container, beat the left over egg whites until they are frothy and add them to your mixture.  Once everything is incorporated, add the spinach and stir in well.







Now you are ready to fry them.  Carefully heat up your oil in a frying pan and once it is hot, add about 2 tablespoons of mixture for each Buñuelo.  Brown both sides and place onto a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.

For some reason these turned into something that resembles more of a pancake then my granny's Buñuelos.  I am not sure if perhaps this recipe didn't have enough flour or what, but they still turned out ok, if not exactly what I expected.



Let me know what you guys think of these, I am curious to see if in fact these are how many people make them or not.


Thanks for visiting the site!



2 comments:

  1. No offence, but those did not look to good. I am originally from Urugauy. I remember my grandmother cooking these for use too. She also made some rice and ham ones that I really miss. I think my mother has a bunch of recipes that she saved from my grandmother so I will try to post them for you.. nice site!
    Pablo Mosca..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pablo, thanks for posting! Yes your right, they don't look right - at least compared to what I remember when my granny made them. I figured I would post it anyway since I found similar verions of that recipe all over - maybe nobody tried it before posting! lol

    The ham and rice ones your talking about, were those maybe croquettes?? I haven't seen any like that before, but sounds good!!!

    Recipes would be great! Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete