Saturday, February 12, 2011

Raspberry Nut Pinwheels



Here is the second last installment of my Christmas cookies!  I mentioned in the previous post that I made these for my team at work for the holiday season and only now was I able to get them posted.  These cookies are great!  I had never tried them before making them which seems to be true for most of what I make.  But I am glad I did.  I mean with a name like that how can you not be intrigued.  These cookies have a bit harder texture then what I usually make but for good reason.  That being that they need to be to hold the filling and nuts.  I think these are good for any occasion be it Christmas or even just for guests at your home.

Just one note about these before we get started.  The ingredients call for seedless raspberry jam but being as I am not a big fan of store bought jams, I took fresh raspberries and sugared them lightly before doing my best to remove the seeds.  That way I avoided overly sweet jams and it worked just as good as any jam would.  On to the recipe!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Method:

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Combine flour and baking powder, gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Roll out dough between two sheets of waxed paper into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick.


Remove top piece of waxed paper.  Spread dough with jam and sprinkle walnuts on top afterwards.


Roll up tightly like you would a jelly roll and wrap in plastic wrap.  You may need two people for this.


Chill for 2 hours or until firm.  Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices.

 
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.


Bake at 375 for 9-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Gently remove and place on wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment