Saturday, September 26, 2009

Guiso de Arroz!

Hey again!

A lot of people who have been to my parent's house over the years have more than likely had my moms, guiso de arroz - and loved it! So I have been asked to post the recipe for this dish. Now, before I go on I want you all to know that I tried to make it, but it really didn't turn out very good. BUT, I think I know why, so I will warn you guys about what I suspect went wrong as I go along. I hope you guys don't mind going through these recipes even when I made some mistakes myself while cooking them, it's all about trying things several times with cooking to get it right. Either way, I want this to be informative and hope you will still try it out even though I may not have succeeded! Because believe me, there will be more flubs to come!!! haha But I will try and keep it to a minimum!!

On to the ingredients: (NOTE - as with the crepes, this is somewhat of a loose recipe and not every amount of a specific ingredient is exact, but more something you can model to your tastes!)

1 onion chopped
1 carrot chopped
1/2 red pepper
2-3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
cubed stewing beef or any beef of your choice
1 can tomato paste
2 cups rice
bay leaves
salt

Method:
Okay, to start off, place your chopped onions, carrot, pepper, potatoes and a bit of oil into a medium sized pot and cook on medium heat until onions are browned.



Add beef and brown lightly. Once sealed, add in your rice and tomato paste and stir everything together while still under medium heat.



Once rice is completely coated, add 2 1/2 cups of water, a little salt, 2 bay leaves and stir.



Wait until mixture boils. Once it boils, put fire on low and keep covered until rice is cooked. Stir frequently and make sure your rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. You may also need to add more water as the rice cooks, but you will be able to tell.



Make sure that you cut your potatoes and carrots into small cubes so that they cook fast enough. Once you have checked everything is thoroughly cooked you are done!

Now remember I mentioned that mine did not taste very good? Well, I think it was because, I accidentally used Japanese/sticky rice instead of long grain rice. BAD MOVE! Your dish will come out somewhat mushy and will not turn out right, which is what happened to mine. If you guys try this recipe out, send me pictures or let me know how it turns out!! There are a couple of variations to my mom's recipe depending on the day but I will be trying this out again and post the (hopefully) better results!!




No comments:

Post a Comment