Thursday, September 3, 2009

Goulash!

Hello Folks!

Well this is the first post of my FANNCYYY NEEWWWW BLOOOGG!!!
I am not sure how often I will be posting recipes and other tidbits but I will try to as often as I can!

On to the food...
Today I decided to try making Goulash, Slovenian style. Or 'Golaž' as they call it. I am currently using a cookbook I bought in Slovenia last year called:

"Zmeraj sestra Vendelina, osnove dobre domače kuhinje"

Which basically translates to something like 'Sister Vendelina's basic's of home cooking'. Any native speakers out there can correct me if I'm wrong however! Sister Vendelina's cookbooks are apparently best sellers over there so I couldn't pass up getting some. The only problem was all her books are totally in Slovene, which can be slightly difficult when I can't figure out the meaning of something and Sebastian isn't here or if good old google translate gives me a gem.

Either way, here's my best translation of the recipe for you folks!

Golaž

1.5 pounds or 3 cups beef shank or neck (low fat)
6 tablespoons oil
1 ⅓ cup or 1 large onion
1 tablespoon butter
1 - 2 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon chopped tomato or vinegar
2 - 3 cups beef stock or boiling water

salt

Prep:

Cut meat into bite size peices.
Place butter, onions, salt and oil and 100 ml of water into sauce pan. Here are some pics along the way. (btw, I just realized now as I post this that I forgot to add the water, which would have helped):



Fry slowly to evaporate liquid and brown onions - SOMETHING like this:



Add salted and cubed meat onto one side of the pan to sear slightly before mixing everything together. Make another space and add flour and 1 tablespoon of butter and fry until brown:





Mix all that together and pull the pan from the flame. Add in paprika, mixed bell peppers (optional), 1 tablespoon of vinegar or chopped tomatoes. I added about a half a red bell pepper, but you can definitely add more or less depending on your taste. Stir quickly, place back on flame and pour in stock or boiling water. You'll notice in the pictures below that I also added potatoes, it doesn't mention anything about it in the recipe - BUT you can always just use a good bread instead.



Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
You will hopefully get something that looks like this (or better!!) at the end.



There you go! Not the fanciest of pictures for the grand finale but I will try harder next time! It's a pretty easy little recipe but if anyone has any little hints or idea's on how to make this recipe better, let me know!


1 comment:

  1. It would look better plated on whiteware from Gourmet Warehouse with a sprig o' fresh herbs draped o'er a dollop of sour cream - YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete